CAR WON'T START IN COLD???

1990 Buick Lesabre

1990 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

My Buick ran just fine before I left Long Island. Then I moved upstate " into the real cold" and now it will not start in the morning? I had a local guy look at it and he thought it might be the fuel filter so he replaced it. But seems like that did nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

I recently had a water pump done.

Also the battery dies when I had it on Long Island one time because I left the lights on. Had to jump it but it ran fine after that. No problems at all.

Did have a tough time starting it one evening. But I think it was out of gas. Once I put gas in it started after a few tries.

Please Help Thanks
Tdoggy187

Hi: here is a test. When the car doesn't want to start, give it a shot of starting fluid. If it starts up, the problem most likely is fuel related. Have the fuel pump pressure tested under the same conditions, cold.

Also, you may want to have the computer scanned at a nationally recognized parts store for trouble codes. Most stores will do it for free and it may be very helpful.

Let me know what you find.

Opened up the hose to the air cleaner and sprayed some starting fluid in there and still won't start. I'm not sure what it is now. I took out the battery and tried a good battery but no luck either. It was about 40 degrees out the other day and it was really trying to crank over but not totally. Could it need spark plugs? Although they look pretty clean. Today it is 50 degrees. Going to go out there and mess around with it some more. Since I just had the fuel filter replaced and it was clogged pretty good I'm leaning towards needing a new fuel pump? I also put some dry gas in there and no luck. I have one more dry gas and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner I'll put in today also. Any help is appreciated. This has me very puzzled?

Tdoggy187
Hi: If it won't start with starting fluid, there must be a problem with spark. If you check for spark, you should be getting a strong blue spark across the electrode. Let me know what you find there.

Where should the spark be coming from? I actually sprayed inside while the wife was cranking it over inside the air cleaner hose and it went on fire! Is that suppose to happen? Spark across the electrocode? Please help thanks

P.S Someone suggested it could be that the fuel line froze? But 50 degrees it should of thawed out right?

Tdoggy187
Ok: No it shouldn't have caught fire. If it did, there is a good chance something may have happened with the ignition timing. Also, that is a good indicator that you are getting spark.

To check for spark, remove a spark plug and reattach the plug wire to it. Next, ground the steel part of the spark plug against something steel on the engine. Have your wife crank the engine (don't touch the plug while she is cranking). You should get a spark at the end of the plug that goes into the engine (the electrode). Pay attention to the color of the spark. It should be a blueish color if it's strong.

As far as fuel line freeze-up, yes I agree with you. First, it rarely happens and @ 50 degrees, you would have been fine by now. Also, is the check engine light on or is there a security light coming on?

No check engine light or security light coming on at all. I will check the spark plugs today like you have instructed. And another 50 degree day so yeah I can't imagine the fuel line is frozen. I have read something about a deffect with a type of fuel filter online. Maybe thats the problem. The car started before I had the fuel filter done. But barely. It had its rough mornings still. Took warming up and a battery charge and then it would start. Ok I'll get back to you as soon as I can get out there. Looks like a storm is a brewing boooo

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated

Tdoggy187
Well I went out and put the old battery back in. Started it up and on the 1st try it started right up. Could it have been the frozen fuel line? What else could it have been? I don't get it. I put in some Anti freeze, put some air in the tires, filled the gas tank up and put in some more dry gas and fuel Injector cleaner. Guess we will see what happens in the morning. Hoping it starts again. This is weird.

Thanks again for all the help and I'll keep U posted on if it starts or not.

Tdoggy187
I am having a very similar problem, I am going to start with everything that you have done. The wierd thing about mine is that about a week before it was about 20 below outside and it started right up. The only thing that has changed since then was that it warmed up and there was new gas put in it. Now it wont start at all. It will crank to a certain point and then quit. Any suggestions beyond what has already been said.

Drockdspho