PARK AVENUE BACK FIRI

1990 Buick Electra

1990 Buick Electra 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

i have backfiring, and no power when I push the gas. The backfiring can happen at anytime under any tempurature or weather condition. It goes away as fast as it comes. I changed the plugs and wires, same issue. I can drive for hours before the backfiring ocurs, OR I can drive fro 30 seconds and it appears. Sometimes I have to restart my car 30 times before it goes away, other times the next start it runs fine. Thinking ignition pack. When I changed the plugs, I tested for spark by putting the plug in the wire and touching metal. I had an orange spark from each one, but I figure since the issue is intermittant, I tested at a good running time. (I also read the spark should be white, but I guess a spark is a spark?) But before I spend that cash, I would like some help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Mark mark

From your description i'd have the car checked for aabad timing chain. Especially since you stated that you have to try to start it 30 times before it will. Have a pro check it as you can check compression as well as where the rotor points when it's on #1. If you have the plastic intake manifold, the backfiring is bad because the manifold can blow apart and cause a fire.