SMELLS OF GAS

2000 BMW 740

Smells problem
2000 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 115k miles

Hello! I have a recently purchased a 2000 BMW 740i with 115,000 miles. I absolutely love the car! I was driving to work this morning and noticed a strong smell of gas. The car was also chugging a bit. No error code or check engine light has come on. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be and what needs to be fixed? Thanks!
Agibbs8863

Have you noticed any fuel on the ground? I had the same problem with my 740 and it was the fuel filter lines leaking, the fuel filter is located under the right side door you will have to remove the cover to inspect it, the other thing it could be is that the car is running rich and that is another issue, start the car go to the rear and smell the exhaust and get back to me and tell me if you smell gas.

Dr Loot
Have not noticed any fuel on the ground. The exaust did not smell of gas when I checked. It seems to only smell of gas in the morning after it sits all night.

Agibbs8863