TORQUE CONVERTER

2000 BMW 323

2000 BMW 323 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 246000 miles

I recently took my car in for a diagnosis because at times it seems to take forever to engage the next gear and seems to slack and sudennly burts to life.

The diagnosis report was that the car's torque converter is the cause. I need to know what the next step sholud be
Kvm100

Hi there,

If the torque converter is at fault the transmission will have to be removed, the torque converter is in the bell housing, it is the unit that couples the engine to the transmission, (the drive) it is in effect a slipping clutch, it is often refereed to as a fluid coupling, using hydraulics to transmit engine power to the transmission.

Mhpautos
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the reply. Does this mean that the ocnverter needs to be replaced? Waht options do I have?

My car mileage is actually 246000 kilometres.

Kvm100
Hi there,

basically the quickest and cheapest option is to just replace the torque converter, your local Transmission specialist, will be able to do this in a day, it would be a good idea to have the transmission serviced and the front seal replaced at the same time, The Torque converter is basically a sealed unit and it is not something that you would put on the bench are repair, a change over unit is the best way to go.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_does_it_work/torque_converter.htm
See link for torque converter information

Mhpautos