ATCU CODE 9

1991 Acura Integra

1991 Acura Integra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 189551 miles

i just bought a car that had been sitting for three years. The s3 light blinks on the shifter and I read the code for the tranny and it blinked 9 times over and over. I heard it was a speed pulser but I cant find out anything about it, wondering if you could help
Mr.brashear

Hi mr.brashear,

Here are the diagnostic procedures.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_Code9Trans91IntegraFig21_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_Code9Trans91IntegraFig21a_1.jpg

SPEED PULSER
Apply parking brake. Raise and support vehicle so front wheels are free to rotate. Disconnect electrical connector at speed pulser. Speed pulser is mounted on transaxle. See Fig. 32 .

2. Connect ohmmeter between speed pulser connector terminals. Perform STEP 1. See Fig. 32 . Rotate front wheels, and ensure circuit makes and breaks continuity.

3. If circuit makes and breaks continuity, speed pulser is okay. If not, remove speed pulser from transaxle.

4. Connect ohmmeter between speed pulser connector terminals. Move magnet close to speed pulser, and check if continuity exists. Perform STEP 2. See Fig. 32 . DO NOT allow magnet to be positioned close to ohmmeter.

5. Continuity should exist when magnet is close to speed pulser. Continuity should not exist when magnet is moved away from pulser.

6. Replace speed pulser if continuity is not as specified. If continuity is correct, speed pulser rotor in transaxle must be checked. Speed pulser rotor is located on 2nd accumulator body, in transaxle:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_SpeedPulser91IntegraFig32_1.jpg

This was by far the most helpfull piece of info I have gotten in two months of searching on the web. Thank you very much I will borrow an ohm meter from work and try this next week thanks again.

Mr.brashear
You're welcome and if you require any additional information, just post reply and I will get back to you once notification is received.

Thank you for the feedback.

Have a nice day.

That was great advice my friend, I got underneath the car and looked around the tranny and I saw something that looked like the object in the picture and sure enough it was unplugged. So I plugged it back in and no more tcu code, but the car still doesnt want to shift till like 5000 rpms and sometimes it goes into third then right back to second, but no s3 light. The only code I get is 7 on the ecu and the ABS light turns on and ideas?

Mr.brashear
Check the ABS Control module for the trouble code.

Code 7 = Throttle Position Sensor. Any fault with the TPS would cause erratic shifting.

CODE 7: THROTTLE ANGLE SENSOR

1. Turn ignition off. Remove HAZARD fuse at battery positive terminal for 10 seconds to reset ECU. Start engine. Verify if CHECK ENGINE and LED lights are on and if LED indicates Code 7. If light indicates Code 7, go to next step. If light does not indicate Code 7, problem is intermittent. Check for poor or loose connections at throttle angle sensor, connector C216 at right shock tower and connector C318 at left shock tower. Test drive, and check again.

2. If light is on, turn ignition off. Disconnect 3-wire connector from throttle angle sensor. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between Yellow/White (positive) and Green (negative) wire terminals. If about 5 volts are not present, go to step 5). If voltage is about 5 volts, turn ignition off. Reconnect sensor connector. Connect ECU test harness between ECU and ECU connector.

3. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ECU terminals C7 (positive) and C12 (negative). See Fig. 1 . Voltage should read .3 volt at closed throttle and about 4.5 volts at wide open throttle. Transition between lower and upper voltage specifications as throttle is depressed should be smooth.

4. On A/T models, if sensor voltages are not correct, disconnect 18-pin connector from A/T control unit. Recheck voltages. If voltages are correct, replace A/T control unit. On all models, if voltages are not correct, replace throttle angle sensor or repair open or short in Red/Blue wire between ECU terminal C7, A/T control unit (if equipped) and throttle sensor.

5. If voltage reading between Yellow/White (positive) and Green (negative) wire terminals in step 2) was not about 5 volts, measure voltage between Yellow/White (positive) wire terminal and ground.

6. If about 5 volts are present, repair open in Green wire between ECU terminal C12 and throttle angle sensor. If about 5 volts are not present, turn ignition off. Connect ECU test harness between ECU and ECU connector. Turn ignition on.

7. Measure voltage between ECU terminals C13 (positive) and C12 (negative). If about 5 volts are present, repair open in Yellow/White wire terminal between ECU terminal C13 and throttle angle sensor. If about 5 volts are not present, substitute a known good ECU. If condition goes away, replace ECU.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ECUTerminal91IntegraFig01_1.jpg

Well I tested the tps wires and they read 4.8 volts. Then I got to thinking since the car leaked water inside and there was a huge puddle on the floor (because I live in the northwest) when I bought the car, and the ecu is on the floor right there I think maybe the ecu is toast. I took out the connections and cleaned them with electical cleaner but the problems still exsist. It idels high and back fires sometimes, and does not want to shift into 2nd untill 5000 rpms or if I manually put it in 2nd gear, and its an automatic by the way. Do you think my ecu is toast or what?

Mr.brashear
The TPS has 2 circuits. One has aproximately 5 volts. You read 4.8 volts so is good.

The other circuit would have 0.5 volts at fully closed throttle and would increase in linear proportions till about 4.5 volts at fully opened throttle.

Did you perform the test for TPS as outlined?

I do not have a test harness for my ecu, I was wondering if I can test c7 and c12 while the original harness is still plugged in.

Mr.brashear
Well I tested what I thought was the c7 terminal and a good ground cuz I couldnt find the c12 terminal, and I got.60 volts.

Mr.brashear
I had a buddy come over and help me and in wide open throttle I got 2.51 volts on my multimeter. I know it was suppossed to be 4.5 any more ideas thanks again

Mr.brashear
Page 1 of 2