ADJUSTING BRAKE PUSH ROD?

2010 Volkswagen Polo • 17,000 miles

Hi. Just recently bought the car but still looks new. Brakes are not releasing properly causing the brakes to drag and get hot. The brake pedal is also VERY sensitive. If you touch it while driving, it feels like you're making an emergency stop! After many days of searching for the problem, I unscrewed the master cylinder to give a 5mm gap from the booster. Tested the brakes and it releases properly like it should. I took off all the calipers and stripped to see if something is wrong, but they are good as new. Moving freely like they should. Changed the brake fluid and bled it a few times. Everything works perfect until I tighten the master cylinder, then it grabs the rotters with nobody even touching the pedal.
I read on the internet that some cars have an adjustable rod so you can shorten it a bit.

Can you tell me where can I adjust my rod? It looks fixed under the pedal so I don't think you can adjust it there. Is it possible that you can not adjust it or is there somehow a way to make it shorter?
Fransua

If it is adjustable, it will be the pushrod between the booster and MC. Also, make sure the rubber brake hoses to the calipers are good. If they are bad, they won't release pressure properly causing the brakes to stick.

Hi. Thank you for the quick response. I checked the rubber hoses, seems fine. How do I get the rod inside the booster out or do I adjust it while it is inside with the MC off?

Fransua
It will need adjusted with the MC off. Double check it. Some are adjustable and others are not.

Thank you very much for your help. Will report back tomorrow.

Fransua
Adjusted the rod today and still locking up the front wheels.
Weird thing is, when the car is off, you can pump the pedal but the wheels won't lock. Once the car is started, you can push the pedal once and it stays locked even after the car is turned off.

So I pumped the pedal until wheels were locked and removed the vacuum pipe on the booster. The brakes instantly release. Put the vacuum pipe back on and all is fine until the pedal is pushed, lockup again until the vacuum line is removed.

What should I be looking at?

Fransua
That is odd. It sounds like the booster is bad.