TRANSMISSION

2007 Chrysler Sebring • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 99,100 miles

I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring that won't go out of Park. I have tried pushing the button under the cup holder that is supposed to override the problem, but nothing seems to work. What do I need to do to fix this problem?
SteveRoberds

Found this you may want to try.
The gear shift in the automatic transmissions have a spring that allows you to take the vehicle out of park that is connected to a pink piece next to the shifter on the drivers/left side. The pink piece is prone to failure and breaks thus releasing the spring.

The correct fix to this is buying the $127 transmission shifter assembly. There are methods to allow you to drive it to the dealership. One way is to remove the chrome bezel around the shifter, on the center console, and use a screwdriver to pull the pink piece located on the left of the shifter towards the back of the vehicle after applying sufficient pressure to the brake pedal. This will allow you to make it to the dealership to buy the part to fix it or allow them to install it for you.
Or
Sense you now know whats wrong with it you can quickly repair this your self and save the $127. Pop out the A/C control panel it has 3 plugs on the back of it and 1 plug for the middle console, next remove the 2 10mm screws located near the top where the A/C panel was and the 4 in the middle console. Pull up on the emergency break hard so that it is all the way out of the way. At last lift up on the middle console and it comes right out. The FIX is simple and better then the factory replacement part, drilling a small hole through the pink plastic about 2 10ths of an inch away from the right side. Reattach the spring to the new hole and the black tab on the right back side it's about 2 inches from the pink plastic. Then reinstall everything. Hope this helps, and saves you some money.

Fixitmr