VIBRATION/RATTLING NOISE FROM UNDERNEATH AT 2000-2600 RPMS

2006 Subaru Impreza • 4 cylinder AWD Automatic • 76,100 miles

My 2006 subaru impreza is making a strange vibration/rattling noise that seems to be coming from underneath me, and more to the front. I can't physically feel the vibration, just hear it. This noise only happens when I am at 2000 rpms and accelerate up to about 2600 at a nice and steady pace. When I accelerate quickly I get little to no noise at all. The noise sometimes gradually wears off after a couple seconds (if I keep the rpms steady in that range). I've also noticed that it happens when the engine is revving down past the 2500-2000 rpm's range.
Cmerrill8

Suspect exhaust is causing noise maybe CAT

Docfixit
Probably some exhaust sheilding is making noise. I've run into this quite freqently on many vehicles. They always get louder within a specific rpm range.

Fixitmr
I agree with fixitmr, heat shields are a large problem. And on your model, the cross-over pipe junctions heat shields are known specifically for cracking near the spot-welded nuts on the heat shield itself. Get someone to have a good look at them.A 'fine rusty line' is indicative of a heat shield fracture/crack.

Sixpack Subaru