NOISE

2006 Saturn Ion • 134,000 miles

I replace the right front wheel bearing hub assembly I still hear a noise when going down the highway what can the noise be? I jack the right rear wheel up of the ground when I turn the tire with my hand I can hear a noise sound like a popping noise but the noise is space out what can the noise be how can I check the right rear wheel bearing?
Joe1953

Can you describe the sound? Does it change with speed or when turning? If it does, let me know specifically what happens. As far as checking the rear, make sure there is no play in the wheel. Does it make noise when you turn it? Have you visually inspected the bearing?

You can check the rear wheel bearing the same way you checked the front. Are you sure the dust shield didn't get bent against the rotor and rubbing?

Yes the noise do change with speed while driving straight. There is no play in the rear wheel but when I turn the rear wheel it make something like a thumbing noise, the dust shield is not bent and is not rubbing the rotor.

Joe1953
The rear can be cheek the same way as the front compare the two sides to each other. Also remove the drums and spin the hubs in the rear by hand fast and listen.

I jack both rear wheel up of the ground and spin the hubs on the right rear hub it had a noise sound like a thumbing noise and I can also rock the hub back and foward and get the noise it not the brake shoes making the noise it don't have a steady noise as I turn the hub it is like a stop and start.

Joe1953
So it sounds like the hub is bad?

What I have to do to remove th hub? Can you give me some noise that a bad hub make?

Joe1953
To remove the hub you pull the drum off and just unbolt the hub. You could do that and spin it in your hands and feel if its bad. When you spin it by hand mounted is it noisy? It shouldn't make noise when you spin it. They make a grinding rough noise when the go bad. I wish I could check it for you and hear what it sounds like.

Well it don't make a grinding rough noise when I spin the tire.

Joe1953
You said there was a noise in your last post and something about rocking the hub back and fourth?How are the tires any cupping where the outter edge of the tire tread is raised up?It tread separation where you can see the center of the tire tread raise up or feel it while running your hand over the tread of the tire.

Page 1 of 2