FORD TAURUS NOISE PROBLEM

2006 Ford Taurus • 167,000 miles

Hi, I was hearing a whining noise some months ago and found out that my serpentine belt was tearing on the edges, so after that was replaced, the noise stopped. But now its back again and the belt is still intact, when I accelerate faster and faster, it gets louder and sometimes it doesn't make a sound when I'm driving until later in the day. I also have to turn the ignition twice so the car starts because it acts like it doesn't want to crank up now.

So if you turn the ac on does the noise get worse?

No the noise doesn't get worse. It seems to happen less when its colder outside. A relative told me today that she took my car to a mechanic yesterday who sprayed belt dressing on it and now the noise has stopped.

Caronharts
Then you have a galzed belt or weak belt tenisor.

Also, with the engine off, look straight down and make sure all of the pulleys are perfectly aligned. Any misalignment can cause the belt to wear incorrectly. Find the longest distance between two pulleys on the belt. Twist the belt. If it goes more than 1/2 a turn, it's too loose. Pull on it. Does it come easily? Or does it require ample strength? Easy means a bad tensioner. When you twist the belt, look for cracks and shininess.

Rivermikerat