I HAVE A AWD 2.2L

2005 Saturn Vue • 107,000 miles

I first had the cranking noise if you were to turn the wheel. That was fixed with a the transmission being flushed.

I than began having the shuddering upon take off or at a stop. Which little by little got worse to the point of then lagging, shuddering while in drive. My husband is a long time diesel mechanic he tried to call a few local transmission shops, they almost REFUSED to work on them. They said "we could buy a "newer" trani and they would put it in, but would not rebuild it. I then got it to a local GM dealership. They stomped the hell out of it and told me it would cost around $5000- $8,000 to replace the trani and the labor! The receptionist gave me the diagnostic print out I noticed all the times work was done on the Vue and seen that 20,000 miles ago Saturn REPLACED the transmission! I drove the Vue in and then went to drive it out it would not go into reverse I had to go back into the dealership to have them push me out of the parking area and got it into drive and did make it home only to have it sitting!

My husband then got real frustrated and took the entire engine, transmission out of the Vue. He purchased a Master rebuild Kit and changed the clutches and the pistons, put all new CVT fluid in.

The Vue still does not move forward or reverse and makes a whining noise. What is the next step before the scrap yard?
Acurless

When the cvt tranmission came out in the vue in 2002 for the first 18 months saturn had us replace the whole tranmission when there was a transmission problem. They wanted the transmission back to see what the failure was. Then after that we could make repairs belt replacements pulleys etc. Then saturn realized that when there was a pressure problem inside the transmission seal failure etc that the belt pulleys etc were damaged. They then we couldnt make a repair like just the belt or pulley etc. We had to replace what is called the side cover that is what your husband unbolted and slide out it has both the input and output shafts pulleys belt bearings etc. Its basicially the rebuild kit for transmission. Also from the symptoms before he made a repair it sounded like a bad side cover. But before the transmission was taken apart it should have been scanned for codes. Then a pressure test done which requires a special pressure gauge that goes up really high. Also a tech2 scan tool to command the different pressure points. You have to make sure there isnt a pressure issue that caused the side cover to fail. They transmission pumps and valve body failures that caused the side cover to fail sometimes. Its like any transmission before I remove it to repair or try to diagnose it I always check the pressures. If you dont you may fix what was damaged from the problem but not actually fix the problem itself. So if the pressure was good then you would remove the transmisson then remove the valve body first then the side cover. Then replace the internal filter then install the remanufacture side cover. Then the last step is to reinstall the valve body. Its really important the valve body comes off first and goes on last. Before hooking up the transmission cooler lines they have to be replaced and the transmission cooler has to be flushed. This is to remove all the debris from the cooler lines and the cooler itself If its nots done it will cause the new side cover to fail. Then of course you add your fluid and additive to the transmission. That would be how you would properly repair the transmission. As far as it not moving now after the repair that could be from pressure issue or a miss installed part or a part that needed to be repalced and wasnt replaced when your husband repaired it.

Ok thank you for your response and information. I will have my husband read your answer and hope this is something he can still repair.
Thanks again!

Acurless
Your welcome thats what were here for. The problem is it takes a special pressure gauge to do the pressure test and a Tech 2 scan tool or other more advanced expensive scan tool that can command the line pressure solenoid to different positions.