TORQE CONVERTER ON

2005 Ford Escape • 129,000 miles

I have a 2005 Ford Escape 2.3L 2wd with 129,000 miles. Was told torque converter sticking and that draining transmission and refilling with lubricant would help problem. It stalls when I come to a stop after driving speeds 55mph or greater (intermittlently) for 10 or more miles. I let the mechanic drain and refill the transmission. He said it may take a few days of driving before I see any result. Is this true? It stalled 8 miles from their shop when I picked it up and I'm afraid to drive it now. IAC was replaced at 105,000 miles. Was told it's ok.

Lwrightpelletier

If the torque converter clutch it not disengaging it could be due to contaminated fluid. Sometime a transmission flush will correct this, but it could be problem with the torque converter clutch solenoid. However, if just did a drain and fill, I have my doubts as this never removes all of the transmission fluid. You may want to take it to the dealer or a qualified transmission shop for another opinion.

Dan_K
Dan, I took it to the dealer (rather it was towed) after it stalled when I came to an stop on a hwy off ramp and two hours after it was off the flat bed they were able to put it in gear and drive it! I specifically asked them if it was the torque converter because there's a service bulletin on it and they said no. They kept it two days and told me to take it home. Ironically, it drove home fine (the same 35 hwy miles). Would a clutch solenoid cause intermittent issues like this?

Lwrightpelletier
It's defintely possible. If possible, leave it with the dealer until the problem occurs for them. That's the only way that they will be able to first verify, then diagnose the problem.

Dan_K