TORQUE CONVERTER PROBLEM?

2006 Ford Escape

2006 Ford Escape 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

As my wife was coming off the interstate and approaching a stop light at the end of the ramp, the car starting jerking and upon stopping the car shut off. She was able to put the car in park and re-start the engine. If she put it in D, R, 2, or 1 the car would shut off. If put in Neutral, the car would run with no problems. When I got to it I noticed if I feathered the gas as I put the transmission in gear the car would take off and drive properly until I came to a stop. When I stop the car acts as if I am not pushing a clutch on a standard transmission and chokes down. Could the torque converter be the problem and if so, about how much would it cost for repair?
Cjh

If you have extended warranty, you'll be fine. If not, sit down with a stiff drink. I had the exact same symptoms and was told it was the torque converter. I have the extended warranty, which also provided me with a rental. So when, after three working days, I picked up my 2006 Escape, and heard the cost of the repair, I was sooo glad I was covered. I don't know if you are in the States or in Canada and if that would make any difference, but, are you sitting, the final bill would have been between CDN $5200.00 to $5400.00. All the best to you.

Escapeartist54