GEARSHIFT LOCKOUT

2005 Ford Escape

2005 Ford Escape 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

2005 Ford Escape All Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

I have a 2005 Ford Escape. Lately, it has been hard to get the gear shift to move out of park. Have to pump brake and jiggle alot, but happens intermitantly. Always at the most inopportune time. What is causing this and can I fix it without going to the dealership and get ripped off?
Sawngleew

If you remove the cover to the shifter, there should be ared wire that goes to tehshift-lock solenoid. When it wont work, use atest light to see if it has power, if so the solenoid is bad if not it may be an issue with the " Logic" control in the" Smart" junction box. Also see if thebrake lights are working when the shifter wont

Jack42
I just wanted to note that sometimes turning the steering weel a bit helps to unlock the gear shift from park position. Also if the car is parked in an un leveled surfice it is hard to move the gear shift too.

Dafalco
My 2005 Ford Escape has the same locking gearshift problem. I took it to the dealer because I didn't want to be stuck on the road with this problem. The dealer said it was my gearshift and it would cost me over $500 to replace. They replaced it and before I could get the car off the lot the same thing happen. Then a couple of days later the same thing, so I took it back. They kept the car a week and still could not identify or fix the problem. Now it is happening again. I video'd myself trying to shift the gear so I can show them, but I think they already know. I paid over $500 and no fix, I was going to get a new one next year, but now I'm not so sure. Help!

BossierCity
Lodge a complaint with the dealership, Ford, and your state's bureau of automotive repair. You should be able to get that $500 back or applied to a repair that actually works. Make sure you copy the dealership on the other correspondence.

Use the test light diagnostic mentioned above.

Rivermikerat