WHY WOULD I BE GETTING POOR GAS MILEAGE?

2004 Toyota Rav4 • 125,000 miles

I have recently purchased a 2004 Rav4 Base 2WD, 125k miles. Recently, my gas consumption has gone way up. I am averaging 17-19 mpg city, and max for hwy is 23. I drive the car lightly, no lead-foot. When I apply the brakes, my RPM's drop to 500, the car shimmies for a 10-15 seconds then the RPM's kick back up to the 700's. I am not getting a check engine light on the dashboard, but I know for a Toyota this is not normal. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start my troubleshooting? Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.
Slehman81

The idling speed is erratic and such problems are usually caused by restriction ini the throttle body and IAC air passages. Getting both items cleaned should stabilise the idling speed and hopefully that resolves the higher fuel consumption as well.

What about the map or maf sensor, would that need to be cleaned as well? I just bought a Haynes manual for my car, but it won't arrive before I take a road trip. Are there pictures available to show the component locations? Thank you for any help.

Slehman81
The MAF is a delicate sensor which can easily be damaged and if you wish to clean it, there are special cleaners available specifically for this job. You must avoid excessive pressure/force to be directed at the sensor. It should not be subjected to shocks.

The throttle body is at end of air hose and the IAC is attached to it at bottom, with 2 coolant hoses.

http://www.google.com.my/search?sourceid=ie7&q=throttle+body+cleaning+youtube&rls=com.microsoft:en-MY:IE-Address&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACAW_en&redir_esc=&ei=Y4L-T92cDsHamAX-7cSEBQ

Try above link.