WHY DO ONLY SOME AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS HAVE THERMOSTATS ANF OTHERS DON'T, AND WHAT EXACTLY IS THEIR PURPOSE EXACTLY?

2004 Toyota Celica • 123,000 miles

I was talking to a
Mechanic from Toyota and he informed me
My auto transmission has a thermostat the regulates when it will
Allow my car shift gears

He also said not all cars have this

Why not and why regulate when to shift by temprature?
YouSeekYota

Not a thermostat, but a temperature sensor. Most cars use the engine's coolant temperature sensor. The transmission will always shift through first, second, and third gears when cold but it may not go into overdrive until the engine warms up. To do so puts more load on the engine and since it's turning slower, it pumps less oil and since the transmission oil is cold it's relatively thick, so it won't circulate as freely to important places. Some transmissions have a temperature-controlled valve to stop transmission fluid from circulating through the cooling tank inside the radiator until it warms up. That helps the fluid get warmed up faster, then the transmission will be allowed to shift into overdrive.

That makes so much sense. Thank you for your quick reply it was a huge help

YouSeekYota
Just to add this one toyota does that for emissions reasons so the engine warms up quicker. Its there way to meet emissions and keep the epa happy.