WON'T START

2004 Saturn Ion • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 77,000 miles

2004 Saturn Ion 2.2 liter doesn't start every time. All electrical turns on. I replaced the starter. It only starts sometimes. When it doesn't there is no sound indicating it's trying.
Bas20hz

When it doesn't start is the security light flashing or on solid?Also does it mostly not start when the temp outside is colder?If so then you most likely need a new ignition switch.

Security light is solid on. Temp doesn't seem to matter.

Bas20hz
Sounds like the ignition switch pretty common on those cars they changed the design on them atleast 4 times to try to fix that problem. The switch is about 50 there easy to change you just have to relearn the pass lock sensor after changing the switch.

Thanks I was starting to think it was the bcm. I've been reading that this is a problem for them. Is this still a possibility or should I dive in and buy the ignition switch.

Bas20hz
I have replaced a lot of ignition switches and not that many bcms I would say its the ignition switch. The way you can tell is with a advanced scanner that can read your bcm codes and if you have codes B2960 and or b3033 then you would replace the switch. If it was my car I would replace the switch. Do you know how to relearn the the pass lock sensor in the new switch when you change it?

No I've never replaced an ignition switch before. Any tips from the most basic on would be helpful thanks.

Bas20hz
You have to remove the left side lower column cover its held on by some 7mm headed screws i think.Then there two T-20 torx's screw's holding the switch on.What i use to remove the screw's is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NCEXGG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000ALH2UU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WSHMS3QDGK71725XAB8
Because there isn't really room for a socket and a ratchet to get in there.That works great and has a lot of different bits with it.I posted how to learn the new pass lock sensor after you replace the switch.

If you feel i have helped you please feel free to donate.