PARK BRAKE PEDAL NOT WORKING PROPERLY ON MY MERCEDES CDI

2004 Mercedes Benz C200 • 88,000 miles

When I release the pedal it does not come all the way to the top so the warning light and alarm keep sounding
Wil4443

Inspect the parking brake mechanism, cable and switch

Thanks Rasmataz,
i have had a look at the pedal and it looks like the little plastic that goes along the ratchet is not working properly and I wonder if this is maybe broken because the pedal will not stop in the open position,
wil

Wil4443
Can you pull the pedal up and turn the switch off? Or is it stuck part way down?

Mhpautos
The pedal is free and it will come up but it will not stay up and it drops back and the warning light comes on so I have had to put a strap around the pedal and round the steering column to hold it up so that I can drive the car.
Wil.

Wil4443
Proberbly a broken return spring in the pedal pivot mechanism

Mhpautos
Ok can this spring be bought and fitted without replacing the whole unit, and thank you for your help.
Wil

Wil4443
Not enough info on that at this end, contact the dealer and inquire if this is the case.

Mhpautos