2.0L MANUAL TRANSMISSION CRANK POSITION SENSOR TIP WORN / RUBBING. P0351,P0352,P0500,P0320 CODES

2004 Mazda Tribute • 140,000 miles

2004 MAZDA TRIBUTE 2.0L MANUAL TRANSMISSION CRANK POSITION SENSOR TIP WORN / RUBBING. P0351, P0352, P0500, P0320 CODES. I HAVE A 2004 MAZDA TRIBUTE WITH 2.0L 4 CYLINDER. 140,000 MILES. FIRST PROBLEM WAS IT WOULD NOT START BUT I COULD HEAR THE FUEL PUMP RUN AND THE ENGINE CRANKED OVER. I CHECKED FOR SPARK AND ALL FOUR PLUGS HAD NO SPARK. P0351, P0352, P0500, AND P0320 CODES DISPLAYED. I HAVE 12 VOLTS AT COIL. I DECIDED TO REMOVE AND INSPECT CRANK SENSOR ON THE TRANSMISSION SIDE OF THE ENGINE ( ON ENGINE BELOW THERMOSTAT HOUSING BOLTED TO ENGINE BLOCK) ONCE I REMOVED IT I NOTICED THE TIP OF THE SENSOR WAS BROKEN, YES, BROKEN. SO I KNEW I FOUND THE PROBLEM. I PUT A NEW CRANK SENSOR IN AND THE CAR STARTED BUT RAN FOR 1 HOUR IDLING AS IF A CYLINDER WAS NOT FIRING. THEN IT WOULD NOT START EVER AGAIN. I REMOVED MY BRAND NEW REPLACEMENT SENSOR TO FIND THE TIP WAS RUBBED OFF ENOUGH TO SEE THE INSIDE METAL. I THINK IT COULD BE A POSSIBLE WARPED FLYWHEEL BUT I AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING DIAGRAMS OF THE EXCITATION PART OF HOW THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR WORKS. I BELIEVE THE FLYWHEEL HAS HOLES THAT EXCITE THE SENSOR. THE TRIBUTE DOES MOVE AND CLUTCH WORKS FOR THE HOUR I HAD IT RUNNING, SO THE MANUAL TRANS DOES WORK AS WELL AS THE CLUTCH
Szalkuskt

Alright let me do some research on the crank sensor.

Inspect the pluse wheel under the crank shaft sensor for damage coming apart etc.

Ok I thought thats what the next step is. I would like to see an exploded view of what the pulse wheel looks like and possibly the steps to access it. I think I have to pull the transmission away from the engine block. Any ideas also why the wheel might com apart since it is inside of the transmission bellhousing? I think that we might have to realize that there is a VSS p0500 code and maybe with that being said, a VSS issue could have caused the crank shaft position sensor problem I have now. Note: I have not investigated the VSS p0500 code or the VSS sensor at all, can a faulty VSS sensor damage the pulse wheel or a trans problem? Thnank you

Szalkuskt
I dont have a diagram of pluse wheel I have been looking in all the info I have. So the crank shaft position sensor goes into the transmission clutch housing?Looks like it from the diagram I have of that. Is the speed sensor damaged?Its in that general area of the crank sensor.

The CPS is bolted in by one torx head screw. It is bolted on the engine and sticks into a hole so the sensor can protrude into the clutch housing area. I have not removed the VSS yet I will and let you know. What excites the VSS? The same exact pulse wheel? Would really like help with a location of the VSS and also any diagrams you have related to any of this, as I am a visual person. I wonder if we could find the maintenance procedure to replace the pulse wheel that would help me know if its bolted to the crank and how to replace it.

Szalkuskt
Heres what I have on the vss its not going to be the same wheel as the crank sensor. Because the crank sensor measure crank speed. The vss measures the differnetial speed in the transmission. Iam trying to find more on the crank sensor wheel there isnt much on it. Use a mirror and flash light to get a look at it thru the hole. If its inside the transmission clutch housing you will have to pull the transmission at some point.

Well, I can tell you that the crankshaft sensor does protrude into the clutch housing but its bolted to the flange of the engine where the trans bell housing bolts to, so we can say it does rely upon interaction with the pulse wheel located in the clutch housing. It is hard to get a mirror and light in there but I will try. I will remove the vss and trans. I will have to remove the trans im sure because the pulse wheel is inside there. I hope there is not too much crank endplay or something. Any info on removing the manual transmission? List of steps please thanks

Szalkuskt
Heres how you remove the transmisson check it with a mirror before pulling the transmission.

Ok I will try very hard to check it with a mirror. It is very hard because the hole for the cranksensor to go in is only the size of between a nickel and a quarter and in a bad location to see. Maybe its possible to sled the trans back a little bit a few inches to actually go and look inside there. I will let you know. I know that when I try to stick a new crankshaft position sensor in the hole the sensor will bottom out on something before it will not mount flush to the mounting surface, so something is wrong enough to not let the sensor seat properly to the mounting area surface. I still have to inspect the VSS and try check with a mirror and let you know. I wish we could see the pulse wheel how it suppose to look in a maintenance manual.

Szalkuskt
When you get it apart you will be able to insert the crank sensor to see whats happening. Still havent found any diagrams.