CAR STOP RUNNING WHILE DRIVING AND ALL ELECTRONICS STOPPED - WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

2004 Hyundai Elantra • 160,000 miles

The car stopped dead while driving down the road, the speedometer is stuck at 40 mph, the power/electronics are dead, it will not turn over when starting, no clicks, nothing! I have checked the fuse box and see no blown fuses. If my timing belt broke wouldn't I still have power from the battery? I don't think it is the battery because I have had no problems starting it till this occured. I suspected the timing belt broke since I have 160K miles on it and it is the original, but the dead electonics makes me wonder of it is something else.
Justinwwingo

Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

No, could this be the alternator?

Justinwwingo
Yes that is a high probability I had the same problem with my hyundai, but I would have the battery checked as result of the alternator going out your battery might not start your car. Go to your local auto part store and have them check it. Good luck

MichaelSmithey
I was asking about the multimeter so you could do some testing. Remove the battery and have it tested lets start there also get a multimeter to test there cheap.

Also it could very well be the alternator but lets start with battery so it will start.