OVERHEATING

2004 Ford Explorer

For several weeks, my temperature gauge would spike after the car would run for about 5 or 6 minutes. Sometimes, the "Check Gauge" light would illuminate on the dashboard, but the light would go out after a short time and the temperature gauge would return back to its normal operating range.
Today, once the temperature gauge spiked, it stayed up and the "Check Gauge" light stayed on. I pulled the car off the road and the engine was indeed overheated. Steam coming out from on top the engine block near the firewall. I could also hear a hissing sound from the same area.
I changed the thermostat this evening, but the situation is still the same. No problems seem to be coming from around the water pump area.
Rege

If the thermostat is already replaced, have you checked the radiator to see if it is plugging? Also, did you get all the air out of the cooling system?