SHAKES

2004 Ford Expedition • V8 • 132,000 miles

When I drive on the highway over 60mph my stering wheel starts shaking. I have already replaced the brakes, tires and an alinminte so I dont no why it is shaking
Stacyjason

If it's shaking without applying the brakes, then it's still a tire or wheel problem. Tires can be out of round, wheels can be bent.

Wrenchtech
WHAT ABOUT "U" JOINTS?

UNFORTUNATELY, I DO NOT KNOW YOUR RIG WELL. BEAR WITH ME, IF THIS IS NOT SORTA WHAT YOU HAVE, UNDERNEATH. JUST TRYING TO HELP!

IF NOT, JUST PRETEND I NEVER SHOWED UP AT YOUR QUESTION!

THIS IS THE WAY TO CHECK 'EM ON MOST 4X4 VEHICLES, THERE ARE 2 JOINTS PER DRIVE SHAFT. THIS JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE PICS OF MY '46 WILLYS JEEP.

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DO FIND!

But it feels like something in my stering wheel wants to snap
cause ill be driving and its smoth then it starts shaking bad like something wants to snap

Stacyjason
Don't be confused with the last post. There is no way u-joints are causing your steering wheel to shake. You didn't even say it was 4X4 and if it was, it would have C/V joints anyway.

Wrenchtech
Do you thing it could be the front axle

Stacyjason
Is it 4 wheel drive? If so, it possible for it to be a problem with the front differential but not very likely. It's more likely in the tires, wheels or brakes but a physical inspection is the only thing that will reveal the facts.

Wrenchtech
Man I ve taken the truck to three differant places and they also say its fine also the on the dash a small light flashes when I first turn my truck on it looks like a quotation mark they told me that it meant I needed air in my tires I just had last month my oil change and they put air in my tires for me but the light still flashes I just dont want to have an accident on the highway I take the high way every day to get to work

Stacyjason
IF YOU ARE LOST ON HOW TO INSPECT THE MECHANICAL STUFF (FOR NOW),

TRY THIS, THIS IS EZ. FOR SOME OF US ANYWAY, IT WILL REQUIRE SOME EFFORT, BUT IS NOT TOO DEMANDING!

CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE

CHECK FOR LOOSE LUG NUTS.(LATER YOU MIGHT LIFT THE FRONT WHEELS, SHAKE 'EM, LOOK FOR BAD FRONT BEARINGS, BUT DO THAT LATER)

CHECK THE NUMBERS ON YOUR TIRES, INSURE, THE FRONT ONES ARE THE EXACT SAME SIZE

I'M NOW GUESSING THAT YOUR FRONT WHEELS ARE THE EXACT SAME SIZE AS THE REAR. IF THEY ARE,

SWAP YOUR RIGHT FRONT WHEEL WITH RIGHT REAR. DRIVE IT

IF IT STILL SHAKES,

SWAP YOUR LEFT FRONT WITH THE LEFT REAR. DRIVE IT

DO THIS ONE AT AT TIME, AS TO NOT CHANGE MORE THAN ONE FACTOR AT A TIME

IF IT STILL SHAKES---RULE OUT THE TIRES/ WHEELS

IF THE SHAKE/ BOUNCE MOVED TO THE REAR. WE'RE ONTO SOMETHING!

IF IT CEASES UP FRONT, INVESTIGATE THE FRONT WHEEL YOU JUST SWAPPED.

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DISREGARD THIS ONE, UNLESS. WELL DISREGARD THAT THOUGHT TOO!

THOUGHT WE WERE ALL SUPPOSED TO CHIP IN AND GET EVERYBODY GOING.

MY BAD

I PICKED UP 3 NAILS IN MY JEEP'S RIGHT REAR TIRE, IN ONE DAY!

CHECK YOUR PRESSURES, FIX ANY PROBLEM W/ 'EM. SOMETIMES THE RIM DON'T SEAL.

THINGS CAN HAPPEN IN A MATTER OF MINUTES, MUCH LESS IN ONE MONTHS TIME

OWNERS MANUAL SAYS CHECK YOU OIL AT A MINIMUM, WEEKLY. YOU DO THAT TOO. STUFF HAPPENS, THESE CHECKS MAY SAVE SOME GRIEF LATER ON, BY CATCHING PROBLEMS EARLY.

THIS BAD ADVICE TOO?