IS THIA A COMPUTER PROBLEM OR SOMETHING ELSE

2004 Chevrolet Malibu • 18,000 miles

Car dies on me thought battery was dead so bought a new one. Worked for a bout a week & now its going crazy. The locks are unlocking & locking dashboard lights are flickering message board going crazy then the car will die. Try to start it & it sounds like its dead. Get a jump & it will only go a block or two before it dies. Was told battery & alternator was good.I'm at a loss can I fix my self
Bucsfan5

Okay, it sounds like the battery is going dead. What I need you to do is fully charge the battery and then, using a volt meter, check how many volts the battery is producing with the engine and key off. It should be around 12v. If below, have the "new" battery checked again. If it is above 12, start the engine and recheck battery voltage. With the engine running, it should show around 14v. If it doesn't change, either the alt is bad or the fuseable link between the alt and the battery is bad and not allowing the alternator to charge the battery.

Its kinda broke down @ a gas station @ the moment.I haven't been able to get any help.I'm a single mom w/short fundage. Could the diagnostic test @ the auto zones have been wrong about the battery & alternator being good?

Bucsfan5
Yes, and here is why. When they check, they check the units as individual parts. The alt may be good, just not able to get the power to the battery.

I'll help you through this. Is there anyway for you to remove the battery and recharge it? Again, most parts stores will charge it for free, but you need to get it there.

Let me know.

Yes but unfortunately I wont be able to get it tonight I dont have a sitter hahaha. Soon as I get the kids off to school in the morning I was going to walk down were its at & I can go to the auto store then.

Bucsfan5
Do that (sorry you have to walk). Have them charge the battery and then put it back in the car. At that point, the car should start to get you home. Drive it home but no further than you need to. If the alt isn't charging, the battery will go dead again and strand you.

You will need a simple volt meter to do the next check.

Hope you're not in a dangerous area to be walking around.

Well I just happen to live in a rough neighborhood but I have a dog he's pretty protective over me.I've come to realize you can't count on anyone so the walk isn't to bad. Someone had me take the cable off the battery & said if it shut off it was the alternator, when I did that it still stayed on. Is that true?

Bucsfan5
That is true. However, is the alt producing enough to maintain the electronics and the battery is the question.

Get the battery recharged tomorrow and we'll go from there. BE CAREFUL.

OK. Sorry took so long.I had my neighbors daughter sit w/my kids while they slept I walked down to my car & was trying to make sure they didn't have it towed.I saw that there was a wire coming out of the dashboard but wasn't connected, couldn't figure out where it went. The locks & radio lights were flickering & making noises w/o the key in the ignition. Crazy I wanted to thank you for your help & curious how to get in touch w/you tomorrow? Hope you have a great evening

Bucsfan5
I'm glad to help. Listen, I'm not sure what the wire is from, but the locks may be reacting from a really low battery.

As far as tomorrow, continue adding to this link. I will receive an email when you add to it. Then, I can get back to you. Usually, I don't start until around noon.

You shouldn't have walked there at night if it is a bad area. Get yourself and kids out of that area. You seem really nice.

Take care and you have a good evening too. We'll talk tomorrow.

PS: I may have another tech read this post to make sure I am directing you properly. He may have some additional ideas too. So, don't be surprised to see someone jump in and add thoughts.

I had to move it cause it was blocking a gas pump.I will definitely email you tomorrow!Night night

Bucsfan5
Page 1 of 11