BATTERY LIGHT

2004 Chevrolet Malibu • 103,000 miles

My dash battery light comes on mostly on hills. I don't seem to lose any power and the light turns off after a few second. I have tested the battery and alternator at 3 local auto parts stores both of which test out good. I have changed my serpentine belt. However I still can not find a solution for this problem. Any ideas what to fix next?
Dmachado84

Do you have a multimeter?

I don't. If I get one what should I be testing with it?

Dmachado84
Get a multimeter hook it up to the battery cables start the car turn on the head lights on high beam turn on the a/c blower speed on high and tell me what the voltage reading is.

Will do.

Dmachado84
Keep me posted.

Okay so have tested with the car running, high beams on and a/c blowing on high and I am getting a reading on the battery of 13.92 with the multimeter.

Dmachado84
Sounds like its charging right now you have a intermintant problem with maybe the alternator failing or the charge light circuit issue. If your belt isnt slipping do you any belt squeal ever especialy with the a/c on?You may have to wait till it happens more frequently and for a longer time then a quick flash of the battery light. Are your battery cables clean and tight?

I have recently changed the belt which never squealed. This has been happening more often but the light still doesn't last for longer then like 10 seconds. Cables are clean and tight. Would a diagnostics test give information for a battery light or does that only work on the check engine light?

Dmachado84
If it did set a code in your computer it would only set a p0506 low battery voltage which wouldnt tell us much. You can check for codes it wouldnt hurt any. If you have any codes let me know the exact code numbers. The problem with that battery light is we need to trouble shoot it when its acting up.