COOLING SYSTEM

2004 BMW 330 • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 100,000 miles

BMW 2004 330i automatic. About a week ago I put "stop leak" in my radiator because I had a hairline fracture in my expansion tank. I just replaced my expansion tank and transmission thermosat and took it for a test drive and it ran hot, but the coolant wasn't hot at all. Any clue what the problem is?
Gwenlouque

The stop leak stuff is not a good idea to use, you may have plugged up the steam holes in the head gasket.

Dr. Hagerty
There is also an air bleerer screw on the top of the expansion tank, it needs to be opened when filling the system to allow the air trapped in the system to escape, was this done?

Dr. Hagerty
Just bled the system and no longer overheating, but now the heater will not work.

Gwenlouque
The heater will work on feet and vents by winshield fine. Nice and warm but about 70degrees on face vents. Any clue? The bleeding worked!

Gwenlouque
You are seeing normal operation, the center vents are not going to blow hot air, this is a strategy that BMW has used for quite some time. You must have recently aquired the car, yes?

Dr. Hagerty