REPLACE WATER PUMP

2003 Toyota Tundra • 75,000 miles

03 tundra 75K miles 3.4L v6 leaking adound water pump, can, t tell if it gasket or from weep hole. Any way needs to be replaced. From the info I have so far 4-6 hour job, more for me I am old. Need any tips that you can offer. I plan to replace timing belt and other belts plus idler pullys. I need to know if the tenisor can be depressed so I don't have to remove the AC compressor on my modle. I have read some have a hole in which it can be locked with in place with a pin to remove the tensioner. Any other info would help. Thanks
Lpeek

Yes, there is a hole for you to put pin in, refer to diagram.

After lining up the timing marks, use a 17 mm wrench to slowly turn the rear camshaft pulley clockwise while to compress the tensioner while a helper holds the crank pulley from turning and put in the pin.

If the cam timing marks are obscure, use liquid paper to mark them clearly so that when you install the new belt, you can get it aligned correctly. Don't worry about the markings on the rear cover. The new belt would have 3 marks for you to line up the timing belt, ensure the arrows on belt is pointing towards you when installing it.

Removal

1. Water pump is located on front of cylinder block, behind timing belt. Drain cooling system. Remove timing belt.

2. Disconnect lower radiator hose from thermostat housing. Remove nuts, thermostat housing, gasket and thermostat. Disconnect oil cooler hose from water pump. Remove bolts and water pump.

What I am really trying to find out is how can I depress the tensior so as to remove the pully and belt without removing the tenisor. If I can do this I want have to drop the AC compressor to remove the tensior thanks

Lpeek
" After lining up the timing marks, use a 17 mm wrench to slowly turn the rear camshaft pulley clockwise while to compress the tensioner while a helper holds the crank pulley from turning and put in the pin. "

This procedure is for depressing the tensioner.

There is a right and a left timing sproket I know of no rear timing gear on this engine, I am thinking you are refering to the right timing sproket ( gear ). I thing that might work looking at the front of the engine, is this correct?

Lpeek
Sorry, it should be left, the side where the tensioner is.

Thanks that make since now, talk to you later with bloody knuckles

Lpeek
Lpeek, were you able to get everything apart and back together successfully?

Rivermikerat
I did but I had to do it twice. I had a leak at the block behind the thermostat housing. I used a new gasket and put a little silacone on the out side of the factory sealer on the metal gasket, I think it called flipg. I had to remove the tenisor both times. I found it is easier if you put the belt on before tighting the tensior even with the pin installed. By the way the area where I had the leak was where the original leak was, and there was a little piting and I removed the studs and used a wire brush to clean the area. The only down side I think the radiator may have a small leak at the seam where the top is clamped to the core. I may have to have it reclamped. No visable leal but I can smell the coolant and it looks a little damp in that area. Thanks for asking and maybe others can learn from my experience. Lpeek

Lpeek
The leak sounds really small. You can add a teaspoon of pepper to the cooling system and it should that leak nicely.

Rivermikerat