'03 : A/C LIGHT ON BUT COMPRESSOR IS NOT ENGAGING

2003 Toyota Rav4 • 4 cylinder • 90,000 miles

2003 RAV4 A/C light on but compressor is not engaging. What could be wrong?

When I press the A/C button, the light comes on steady. However, the compressor clutch does not engage, and obviously no cooling takes place.

I've checked the fuse in the fuse box under the hood, and no problem there. I'm not getting any trouble codes from the OBD II diagnostics.

Some of my research indicates a possible problem with the magnetic clutch relay, however I have not been able to find that relay's location in the car. It doesn't appear to be one of the ones in the fuse box under the hood.

Any help on the following would be appreciated.
1. Thoughts on why the compressor clutch isn't engaging?
2. Location of the magnetic clutch relay?
3. Any other troubleshooting or investigation tips?

Thanks.
Redwoodrav

Start by checking the freon could be low/none at all- Make sure there is power to the clutch when you turn it on. If there is, check to make sure the system is properly charged. If it is too low on freon, the clutch will not engage. If there is power to the clutch, the freon is fully charged, then the electro magnetic clutch could be bad. It is on the front of the compressor.

The a/c was working fine recently, so I don't believe it's a Freon problem. In addition, when I turn on the a/c, the compressor clutch doesn't engage and the compressor doesn't turn. I don't see how low Freon would keep the compressor from turning.

Redwoodrav