- WHEEL HUB STUCK TO SPINDLE

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 99,000 miles

I'm attempting to replace the wheel hub/bearing assembly on my 2003 Grand Prix SE. I got the 3 bolts off the back, and have the assembly detached from the steering knuckle. However, the assembly is still stuck on the spindle. I bought some PB balster and sprayed it on there, I hammered a piece of wood onto the front of the spindle (I know, not a gread idea, but it was a last resort), and I rented a puller and tried that. Nothing has worked. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
QuittersNvrWin24

Strike bearing out and away from vehicle, Strike on the backside of where the rotor mounts, if these methods fail take a chisel and strike chisel between where the bearing mounting surface meets the hub seperating it. Also there is a very detailed DIY video on youtube on the replacement of front hub bearing on a grand prix.

PROTECH1980
I watched that YouTube video, and it was helpful. Unfortunately for me, that mechanic did not run into the same problem I am having. The hub is seperated from the mounting surface already. It is stuck on the spindle. Any other suggestions?

QuittersNvrWin24
I assume you have the spindle nut off. I've never had one that I had to resort to a puller. If rust is the issue, wash off the PB Blaster, which I've heard good things about but never used, and get a spray can of Mopar Rust Penetrant from the Chrysler dealer and spray that on the joint. It will bubble and sizzle and will do in 20 minutes what WD-40 will do in a weekend. Don't use their MP-50. That is similar to WD-40. Once the parts are apart, wash the Rust Penetrent off because it opens a path for moisture to follow it in which will make those parts rusted much worse the next time.

I gotcha, do this, put the 3 bolts back in, *********r axle nut back on till it meets the threads(to prevent damage to threads) take your hammer(big hammer) and drive the axle shaft in untill it seperates from bearing, These can be real tough, sometimes they seem like there welded on that shaft, but keep after it, you'll get it.

PROTECH1980
Hey Caradiodoc, thanks for the input.

PROTECH1980
Surely. Oh, don't call you Shirley?