CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO GAS PROBLEM

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo • 125,000 miles

Coolant leaking so mechanic changed intake manifold gasket.
While running the car to test it, it ran out of gas. They put more gas in, but it wouldn't turn over. So they replaced the fuel pump. Problem now is the temperature guage fluctuates and shoots up high within minutes of the car running. This was happening before I brought it to them and assumed it was due to the leak. They have replaced the thermostat too, but that isn't the issue. They have tested the temp of the car and it is normal, but the on-board computer is receiving readings that the car is overheating so it shuts down. Also, the RPM's jumps up to a bit over 2000 while in park or coming to a stop, but only every once in a while. Mechanic has had the car for 8 days and still has no clue what is causing the falty temp guage readings and the RPM issue.

Any ideas?

Has he checked if the headgasket is blown?

I second that sounds like it sure could be a blown head gasket.

Mechanic said that it is not the head gasket. Said engine is running perfect. Temperature is at normal operating temp, but computer is receiving a reading that it is overheating.

Temp sensor has also been replaced, but not the issue.
Now he's stating that it may be the computer. Also said the dash "head" is bad too. But not replacing that as it is about $1,000?

Is it possible the mechanic burned out the fuel pump by trying to start the car with no gas?
They were testing the car and said it ran out of gas. They then put more gas into it and it wouldn't start so they put in a new fuel pump. So they are saying the fuel pump just happened to go bad.

Michaelsinsimer
I responded here with a high engine temperature not a no-start but we can deal with both just be patient and do exactly what we suggest

Is the engine physically overheating boiling over or whatever it is that's happening

Temperature is at normal operating temp, is this what the scantool saying or at the temp gauge?