WHY DOES THE CAR REV BY ITSELF?

2003 BMW 330ci • 101,000 miles

The engine light of the car has been on for about a month. When I first turn on the car and begin to drive, the car feels like it pumps when it moves at slow speeds. Once cruising, there are no problems. Then, when the car is at a stop, the RPM drops to below one and sounds like the car is stalling and is about to turn off. But before that threshold of turning off, the car itself pumps and REVS the engine to avoid turning off. It is as if the gas pedal is being pressed in order to increase the RPM at a stop. So if I let go of the brakes, the car will throttle but not like a****** move. When the car is in neutral, this effect is diminished but still to a very little extent still pumps and REVS on its own. Whats wrong?
Eliyahoo

When was the last time the throttle body cleaned? Over time any engine does build up some carbon depostits in the throttle body and other parts of the intake. Try cleaning the intake out with throttle body. Follow directions. You might have to do it a couple of times because carbon can get in to the little holes of the intake. I had a car that did that, all though it was not a bmw the car ran better with better gas millage and idled better

M_H_RITZEL