GRINDING NOISE

2002 Volkswagen Polo • 180,200 miles

My 2002 VW Polo gives a weird noise when driving, this sound is still noticeable when free up the gear on high speed.
I brought the car to the mechanic, after lift up the car, he spins the left wheel and the sound is coming from the gear box. He said that my gearbox is giving me a problem and need a rebuilt.
Is it the really the main cause or other solution still exist,
thanks
Anuarchehassan

If you dont believe him, get a second opinion. It may be a bad bearing in the gear box and if it is, yes, it will have to be rebuilt.

While driving at a constant speed. Turn the steering wheel a little to the right and then a little
to the left. Does the sound change? If yes, then it is a wheel bearing that is noisy.

Thomas

Exovcds
Thanks for your help.

Anuarchehassan
What about when in clucth, the sound goes away, any leading to that

Anuarchehassan
When you push the clutch, the load is taken away from the gears. Then yes, the problem could be inside the transmission.

Your options: - open & repair your transmission
- install a used transmission
- install new transmission
- don't do anything. Transmission will get worse

Since we can not hear the noise or drive your car, we can't tell you how bad the problem/transmission is. How long it will last or how much it would cost to repair.

You will have to trust your mechanic with what he thinks is best (for you and the car).

Thomas

Exovcds
Thanks for your kind help

Anuarchehassan