DO I NEED A NEW FUEL PUMP?

2002 Saturn L300 • 90,000 miles

My mom has a 2002 Saturn l300 v6. She's never had any problems with it except having to get a new computer about a year ago. About 3 weeks ago she got rearended and ever since then it has had trouble starting. The few times it did start, it wouldn't idle and died. She replaced the fuel injector, but it kept doing it. It's been at the mechanics ever since then, and everything I've looked up says it might be the fuel pump itself, but that raises the question of wouldn't our mechanic have found it by now? I'd like your opinion and any help or input that you could give because this is my moms primary car and she doesn't want to have it gone much longer.
Firebird_1994

Replacing one of the six fuel injectors for the issue sounds very strange. So are there any codes in the computer?What is the actual fuel pressure?I would focus on it was a fuel pressure if not your barking up the wrong tree. The only thing I can think of that a rear end accident could cause this issue. Is if the fuel pump or wiring was damaged from the impact.

I'm not sure about the codes in the computer, as we had to replace said computer about a year ago because it died, but I'll be calling the mechanic very soon.

As for the injector. It's by the gas tank which is in the rear, so as you probably know they had to take out the tank to put it in. $650 for a job that didn't fix it. The person who insisted on replacing the injector was my ******, but her mechanic was iffy on it, even though he went ahead and did so. Im going to call him tomorrow and ask about the fuel pressure, and see if he's even checked this option out. Since it's been there for almost a month everyone is saying that I'm wrong and it couldn't be the pump because someone would have found it by now.

Firebird_1994
I cant think of anything called a injector back by the gas tank that you would have to remove the gas tank to replace it. As far as the fuel pump all you would have to do to rule it out was check and see what the fuel pressure was. Are you sure you didnt replace the body control module when you say you had the computer replaced?It would be on top of the glove box thats a really common computer to go bad on those cars. Verus the engine computer.I forgot to ask you when its hard to start or doesnt start is the security light on or flashing fuel gauge temp gauge power door locks keyless entry inop anything strange?

As for the body control module, Im pretty sure it was the engine computer. The car would be running at about 55mph and would suddenly just die, and would have to be steered off the side of the road. Finally after we had gotten it to the mechanic, he replaced the computer (which was annoying as Saturn doesn't make parts anymore). And when we tried to start it it would just crank and not catch or anything. Nothing was wrong, we could turn on everything such as radio, keyless entry, locks, etc. None of the lights were on that weren't usually on. The day of the accident, after it happened, she was at the grocery store and tried starting it and it wouldn't turn on, just tried to start and wouldn't turn over no matter what. After getting it off the tow truck it started right up and had no problem. She left it there just in case. The mechanic found nothing wrong with it but when she brought it home the next morning it wouldn't start again. And I'm not sure if the mechanic has checked the fuel pressure or not but I plan on asking tomorrow. He says he can't figure out what exactly is wrong with it and thinks it might be electrical, is all I know.

Firebird_1994
(after we replaced the computer it ran fine up until now, nothing out of the ordinary that would indicate anything wrong)

Firebird_1994
So when it wont start it just cranks and wont start?Because another common thing I have seen on those engines is bad crank shaft position sensors and will cause what the computer was replaced for. It can be really random to when it happens and the sensor has to cool down some for it to start like you were describing. Thats why I asked if there was any codes it wont always set a code but sometimes it does.

Well I'm gonna call the mechanic tomorrow and ask him a few things and then I'll post what he says back up on here. Thank you so much!

Firebird_1994
It sounds like it could be a bad crank shaft position sensor bit keep me posted.

Well I just talked to my mom and she said she isn't sure what she replaced as far as the injector and pump go, but she also said that in case I couldn't call the mechanic she'd like you to have his email so that you can possibly help him figure out what's wrong. It appears since I last heard about the car more things have either gone wrong or simply are confusing him, I don't know.

Firebird_1994
Also, since I think I can post up sites but not emails,

My mom also said she's really getting desperate and any help that you can give him is greatly appreciated. She needs her car for winter and it's coming fast.

Firebird_1994