MERCURY MOUNTAINEER FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

2002 Mercury Mountaineer • 125,000 miles

I have a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer V6 (not 4WD). After it sits overnight, I have to crank and crank it before it starts. Sometimes it kills the battery. Once it starts, it runs great all day long, however, if it sits for more than 4 hours, I have to do the cranking thing all over again. Some have said it's a fuel pump problem, others have said it's as simple as cleaning the fuel injectors. Fuel pumps are very expensive repairs. Help!
Filmboss

Have the fuel pressure checked first.

How do I do that? My engine knowledge is limited, but I'm a smart guy and can follow directions.

Filmboss
You need a pressure gauge that you can rent at a parts store.

Ok. That I can do. I'm assuming the pressure gage has instructions? Is this something I "rent" or purchase? Pep Boys have something like that?

Filmboss
Yes, peps does have it and it is a rent. Instructions are included

Also if there's low pressure, what does that tell me? Fuel pump? Injectors or simply that I'm majorly screwed and it's gonna cost a gazillion dollars to fix?

Filmboss
Forget about injectors. They would be an issue cold or hot.

Yes, the pump would have to be replaced if it is low

So if low pressure, fuel pump. Got it. One mechanic did say above symptons could very easily be injectors. Tempature outside has nothing to do with anything as I live in Los Angeles. Injector guy said if injectors clogged, this could happen and once engine eventually starts, and injectors stay warm, car runs fine. Once injectors sit and get cold again, cranking needed. He recommended trying a product called Zmax. Helps clean injectors. Is he off his rocker? If low pressure, fuel pump, but what if pressure is fine? Injectors?

Filmboss
Once again, if the injectors were the issue, it would be all the time not just cold and there would be many other complaints

Thank you. I've gotten repair quotes for a fuel pump at roughly $750 including labor. Does that sound about right?

Filmboss