MERCURY MOUNTAINEER ENGINE PROBLEM

2002 Mercury Mountaineer • 180,000 miles

Approx 3 days ago I turned on my mountaineer and it started making a very loud "blowing" sound almost like a leaf blower. The sound is coming from the engine compartment and is accompanied by a very slight rattling sound similar to small pieces of metal clinking together. The vehicle still turns on, and drives normally with the exception of the RMP's fluctuating up and down a bit erratically while driving. The RMP's also dip lower then normal when idling. No warning lights have come on and it has not stalled or stopped running. I looked at the vacuum hoses near the top of the engine to see if there are any loose or damaged lines but did not see any, however, the sound seems to be coming from lower in the engine compartment.

Mzunique

Have you checked for exhaust leaks?Your going to have to check everything I wish I could see and hear something but I cant.I have never heard anything sound like a leaf blower.

It sounds like there is air blowing in the engine compartment. It sounds closer to what a shop vac sounds like in regards to the air that sounds like its coming from the engine. I was thinking that it had something to do with the vacuum lines or that a hose might be off somewhere but I have no idea where to start looking for it. I have heard a similar sound on this vehicle about a year ago when there was an issue with a some hoses that needed to be replaced near the top of the engine but it was definitely not this loud. It does seem to be coming from the deeper regions of the engine so I was thinking of jacking the car up and seeing if a hose came loose or needs to be replace underneath, but I am not entirely sure if thats whats going on.

Mzunique
I can try to make a video and upload it to youtube if that will help?

Mzunique
You can try the video but with noises its tough anyway you look at it. Which engine do you have?

I have a V8 4.6L engine

Mzunique
Rattling sound is beginning to be a bit more distinguishable then before

Mzunique
Agianwish I could hear the sound and try to help you trace it down but I cant your going to have to help me out hear. So is it a rattling now?You said it was a shop vac sound before.

Initially I stated there was a slight rattling sound but now it seems more distinct then before. Here is a link to the video I posted illustrating the sound from the engine in which you can hear the blowing type sound and the rattling.

Mzunique
The rattling sounds like when metal vibrates and clinks together?

Mzunique
I would pull the engine cover and look for a vacuum leak.