FUEL PUMP REPLACEMENT

2002 Ford Ranger • 120,000 miles

Our Ranger recently died on us, we took it to a nearby dealership and they are telling us they will need to replace the inertia switch, the fuel pump, and the fuel pump relay. They said it looks like the resistance from the fuel pump burned up the inertia switch and fuel pump relay. Parts and Labor will be around $2,000 plus tax.

Does that sound reasonable? I did call another mechanic and he said it sounded fishy, that he has never heard of that happening. But he hasn't had the truck in front of him to diagnose.
Donmim

It does sound fishy I know those inertia switches go bad and they have a relocation kit for the new one. Let me see if I can find a bulletin for that year one.

It looks like your inertia switch is already under the right kick panel where they relocate them too on the earlier trucks. Usually when a fuel pump fails it will pop a fuse. They usually don't take out the interia switch or relay. That's why they put a fuse in the circuit to protect the wires components and reduces chances of fires. What is your zip code so I can see what a fair price for a fuel pump in your area is.

Thank you for your help! We are in Seattle- 98126

Donmim
Forgot to ask what size engine do you have?

V6 4.0 Liter, other info- 4WD XL off road package, 2-Door Supercab

Donmim
I am having trouble with my estimate program but its 2hrs labor for the fuel pump replacement and.7hrs for replacing the inertia switch. Ask them for a break down of each labor charge and part charge?Let me know so I can see what there charging yo so much for. Because if you figure 3hrs labor say 375 labor on the way high end. Those are some expensive parts.

Here's a break down of the itemized estimate they gave me-

DIAGNOSIS $250.00
FUEL PUMP FEEDING BACK TOO HIGH RESISTANCE AND SHORTING OUT FUEL PUMP, INERNTIA SWITCH, INERTIA SWITCH WIRING HARNESS, AND FUEL PUMP RELAY.
RELAY -$2.10
FUEL PUMP -$541.27, labor- $375.00
INERTIA SWITCH -$77.00 labor- $187.50
INERTIA SWITCH HARNESS- $45.50
FUEL FILTER -$51.22, labor- $62.50
S.S. - $85.00
Subtotal- $1,677.09

Donmim
That's some crazy labor charges I only see 2hrs labor to replace the fuel pump and.7hrs for the interia switch. Suggested list price on the fuel pump is 421.67 the fuel filter is 36.71 the interia switch is 61. So I would take it some where else. To have it looked at and repaired.

That's what I thought! You are my hero! Thank you so much for your help! We are having it towed elsewhere asap.

Donmim
Your welcome please let me know whats going in and what they find.