MY INTERMITTENTLY AT IDLE WILL REV UP TO AROUND 2K RPMS BEFORE THE TRANS CLICKS INTO FIRST

2002 Ford Explorer • 117,000 miles

Here is the lowdown: I bought the car, had a trans flush done on it from the dealer. Mechanic said old fluid was BLACK. About three days later, I had the slippage problem at idle. Would only happen every now and then, not EVERY time I stop. Took it to a trans shop, said my trans is fine because it shifts perfectly, he said your torque converter is going bad so I had it replaced for 500 bucks. Got the car back yesterday and it is still doing the same thing every now and then. Could it be that the car is just getting used to a new TC and new fluid or do you suspect the dreaded trans overhaul? Keep in mind, this is only at idle or very very low speeds. Thoughts?
Mbullion

Sounds like it needs overhauling-have it pressure tested-Do you have a check engine light?

Could it be low fluid? Not filled correctly? No engine light. No o/d light flashing. It just frustrates me cause it only does it SOMETIMES and the trans shifts perfectly. I know when they replaced the TC. They hooked the computer up to check all the diagnostics of it running and they said it was good to go.

Mbullion
Bring it back where you had the transmission TC replaced and have them further check it-

Will do. Thank you for your help!

Mbullion
Dis agree withe the repair for the issue. It sounds more like low pressure from the pump or a bad front clutch seals. Torque converters will not neutral a trans. If it did, it would completely fail and it would go nowhere.

You will most likely need an overhaul.

I forgot to add that BEFORE the TC was done but after the flush. The dealer reported some trans pump whine along with TC rattle if that helps

Mbullion
Confirms the front pump as I said. No matter, it will have to come out.

In your opinion, how long roughly do I have? Could it just go out on me anytime? Or since it's only doing it at idle, does it give me some time to save up some money to overhaul it?

Mbullion
It will not last long at all. I would do something soon before it totally fails.

So, in essence, I basically screwed everything up by having the trans flushed because even though it was black fluid, there was no slippage at all at idle?

Mbullion
Page 1 of 4