SOFT BRAKE PEDAL MASTER CYLINDER REPLACED

2002 Dodge Ram • 25,000 miles

Brake pedal fades, is not master cylinder, no lights on the dash. Replaced OE master cylinder twice
Dealer wants to replace abs controller. Controller or module. Can ABS cause brake fade. I have checked on vaccumn leaks no external leaks. Can ABS cause brake fade without setting lights on dash?
Deeb

Yes, ABS modulator can cause brake feade without triggering any trouble codes.

After replacement of the master cylinder, did you bleed all four wheels?

Did you check the brake caliper slider bolts for seizure?

The brake shop that replaced the master cly. 2 times said they blocked off the abs system somehow and determined that there was nothing wrong in the brakes that the problem was in the abs system. It doies act just like a master cly with an interna leak but with the abs system being all vac. I was not sure that it could act the same.

Deeb
Th ABS system requires a DRB scan tool to perform bleeding apart from normal bleeding procedures, was this done?

If you pump the pedal quickley does it pump up to norrmal and then fade out?

Djcl
I don't know if they used a DBR scan tool. AND YES THE PEDAL DOES FADE OUT AFTER PUMPED UP.

Deeb
Once the brake pedal is quickly pumped and at normal. It fades.

Deeb
Did they isolate the master to confirm it or the booster is not the issue? Thats where I would start as the abs causing this is definetly not common

You can get plugs to seal off the ports on the master cyl and see if the pedal is good

Djcl