FUEL PUMP OR FUEL RELAY?

2002 Chrysler Town and Country • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

What are the symptoms if you have a bad fuel pump or relay?
Girlash007

The car won't run.

Wrenchtech
Low or no fuel pressure.

PROTECH1980
How would I know if I need to replace the fuel pump or fuel pump relay?

Girlash007
Use a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure and if there is no pressure, use a wiring diagram to troubleshoot the circuit.

Wrenchtech
Ok. But my car doesnt over heat. Is that mean more likely I have bad fuel pump relay?

Girlash007
Temperature has nothing to do with fuel pressure.

Wrenchtech
Thanks for your advice, and yes you are right I have no idea how to fix my car and thats one of the reason that I ask the expert, so when I take it to the auto shop, I have somewhat of idea what would they be telling me and not to get rip off. Again, thank you for your expert advise.

Girlash007
Our expert recommended that you have the fuel pressure tested to see if you indeed had fuel pressure and at what pressure. Most of the time even if there is fuel going to the engine, if it is not sufficient pressure it will not operate properly. A weak or failing fuel pump can work intermittently before complete failure. If there is no pressure, you may have a circuit or relay that has blown and you will have to manually check the voltage at the pump and relay with a voltmeter. If you have no pressure and there is voltage at the pump, then the pump is bad and needs to be replaced. If there is no voltage at the pump the relay may be bad. If there is voltage to the relay but not out then the relay is bad and needs to be replaced.

Engine temperature has nothing to do with fuel pressure.

2CarPros Mike
Thank you Mike for your explanation. But obviously your reply its not the same replied I received from one of your expert earlier.

Girlash007
We really do try our best to understand the problem completely before giving advice. The more information we have to start with the better. Similar symptoms can actually be many different problems and without information like what the actual fuel pressure is at the time of the failure it is judgement call on what to and we don't like to guess and just throw parts at a problem until fixed. We are here to try and save people money by systematically diagnosing the problem. Together we will help you get to the solution of your problem and apologize for the rough start.

2CarPros Mike