MY TRUCK WONT START

2002 Chevrolet Silverado • 128,000 miles

Hi,

I got a 02 Chevy Silverado 1500 with a 5.3. She aint starting. I will try to give you everything you need to know.

A week ago I drove out my truck on a really hot day. After she sat in the sun for a few hours she didn’t start for a bit. After many tries she started. Another incident like this happened again a few days ago. Now she won’t start at all.

She does crank and I am getting spark and compression but no fuel. I was able to start her with starting fluid and had the check engine light go on for the few seconds she was running. It was only running on the starting fluid.

The fuel filter was changed last year, so I do not think it is that.

I’m not sure if you can check a trouble code when a car won’t start? I heard you cannot. Is there a safe way to check a trouble code without a running engine? Not sure if spraying a full can of start fluid in is the safest.

If you need me to clarify anything with this, feel free to contact me

Thanks for your help

Paul
OnEaglesWings

YES, YOU CAN CODE WITH ENGINE OFF--KEY ON. DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY MAY ERASE THEM. SO DON'T!

YOU SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE A FUEL ISSUE FOR SURE

WITH SOMEONE'S EAR CLOSE TO THE FUEL TANK---DOES THE FUEL PUMP RUN/HUM A FEW SECONDS WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED ON?

YOU MAY WANNA CHECK FUEL PRESSURE TOO, SOME POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORES RENT THEM

HAVE YOU CHECKED ALL FUEL SYSTEM RELATED FUSES?

SWAPPED FUEL RELATED RELAYS (EXACT IDENTICAL TWINS) FOR INSTANCE(JUST AN EXAMPLE) FUEL PUMP RELAY AND POWER WINDOWS ARE THE SAME, THE SWAP MAKES THE PUMP RUN!

IF DUEL TANKS. ARE YOU ON THE WRONG ONE?

GAUGES SOMETIMES LIE (PEOPLE GET CARRIED AWAY TOO!). DO YOU HAVE FUEL FOR SURE?

THERE COULD BE OTHER FACTORS TOO, MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE WILL JOIN IN, SHOULD YOU STILL BE HAVING PROBLEMS

Fuel pump did buzz when I turned the key. I'll have to do a fuel pressure check tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out. Do you think it could be as simple as a fuel filter even though it only has a year of driving on it?

OnEaglesWings
FILTER DEPENDS ON HOW DIRTY THE FUEL WAS YOU INSTALLED FOR A YEAR

I'D SAY THE CODES AND FUEL PRESSURE ARE GONNA BE THE 1ST PLACE TO INVESTIGATE

WRITE DOWN THE EXACT NUMBERS (NOT JUST WHAT IS SUGGESTED POSSIBILITIES ARE) CODES MAY BE INTERPRETED DIFFERENTLY, DEPENDING ON SITUATIONS

Just tested the fuel pressure. It's about 50psi. Any thoughts now? Still trying to get a trouble code reader.

OnEaglesWings
Are the injectors pulsing? Your fuel pressure should be 55-62 psi

Just rented the trouble code reader and it would not read. The reader was working but was not connecting to the computer. Found out that the cigar fuse was blown. I read that a blown cigar fuse will make any reader not work. I'll get the fuse and try again tomorrow.

OnEaglesWings
Just checked it with an obd 2. The icons "EVA" "CAT" and "HTR" are flashing. The icon O2s was on in the begging but went away. I was able to start her up though. Also, the security light turns on right away. What do these codes mean is there a way to fix that stiupid light from going on?

Thanks for your help guys.

OnEaglesWings
Found some codes too. P1631- Theft Deterrent System Password Incorrect. U1301-Class 2 Circuit Short to Battery Co226- Left, Front Wheel Speed Signal Missing.

Have any ideas on how to fix these problems?

OnEaglesWings
Sounds like you need to have the computer flashed

Being that my truck has a stock ignition, can I use the trick of unbolting the battery for a while so it will reset or will that not work?

Thanks for answering my questions, you all are really helping me out.

OnEaglesWings