CHEVY NOISE

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 120,000 miles

A few months ago I noticed the starting of a humming noise that seemed to come from the front driver side tire area. I had just recently had my brakes replaced by a "joe shmoe" before this started happening.

If I am under 35-40mph there is no noise, once I go above that the loud hum starts. It happens if I am going straight or turning to the left, it does not matter if I am accelerating or not as long as I am over 40mph the noise is there, however when I turn my wheel to the right, as if going around a turn, the noise is gone, and there is silence in the car.

I have tried to see if the tires are rubbing on something, but there is no uneven wear on the tires.

What could it be? The noise is almost deafening, I have to turn the radio up so loud to drown it out. Please help!
Nichole

It sounds like what your desrcibing is a bad front wheel bearing. It is a pretty common problem and that would explain why the noise goes away when you turn one way or another because your changing the weight distribution on the front end, taking weight off the failing bearing thus changing the noise. Hope this helps

PROTECH1980
Yes that helped, and I took it to get fixed, and that is exactly what it was. Thank you!

Nichole
Your welcome, I'm glad I could help.

PROTECH1980