VOLKSWAGEN POLO NOISE PROBLEM

2001 Volkswagen Polo • 90,000 miles

There is a terrible "graunching" sound when I put my foot on the brake when reversing down a slope. The car has been in for many checks into the Continental Motors and I have been told all brake pads have been replaced and the the drum "buffed" but it is still doing it. Have you any suggestions?
The car will be going back to the garage for a week long check in a fortnight, but maybe there is something you could suggest?

Are you sure the noise is from the brakes?

Could you be hearing noise resonating through the Suspension?

On Automatic transmissions for instance. If I lightly hold my foot on the brake pedal while the transmission is in drive, the rubbing of the
brake pads on the discs, causes a loud creaking noise through the suspension / coil springs as the vehicle starts to move slowly.

Try only using your hand brake / emergency brake. Does the noise still happen?

Does the noise only happen after a "cold start" (vehicle sitting over night)? Does the noise go away after you have been driving for some time?

Different brake shoe manufacturers use different compounds / additives, try different brake shoes. An unnecessary expense if your brake
shoes / pads are still nice and thick.

Thomas

Exovcds