VOLKSWAGEN JETTA FUSE PROBLEM

2001 Volkswagen Jetta • 150,000 miles

Having a problem with the tail lights in the rear driverside.
#23 5a fues keeps blowing.
Also the instrument cluster ilumination lights do not come on.
J.stieg

If the taillight fuse blows, the instrument cluster illumination would not work. There is a shortin somewhere and if you have any impact damagges to fron ot rear of vehicle check the wirings for shorting to body. Disconnect all taillight bulbs and test if fuse still blows.

Ok I disconnected all main connectors front and back to all lights in every corner of the vehicle. Fues #23 still blowes

J.stieg
A simple trick to finding a short is to replace the blown fuse with a pair of spade terminals, then use small jumper wires to connect them to a 12 volt light bulb. A brake light bulb works well. When the circuit is live and the short is present, the bulb will be full brightness and hot so be sure it's not laying on the carpet or against a plastic door panel. Now you can unplug electrical connectors and move things around to see what makes the short go away. When it does, the bulb will get dim or go out.

Is fues #23 a 5a?
Also need diagrams? Got to get this fixed soon. Thanks

J.stieg
Hope KHLow2008 can help with that. I've never been able to access the wiring diagram section. We do have links here for Mitchell service manuals. I can also send you to AllData if that will help.

Where exactly does #23 go. How many things does #23 power. Need to see some wire routing.

J.stieg
This link will take you to Mitchell Manuals:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

This one will take you to my web site with an ad on top for AllData:

http://randysrepairshop.net/index.html

I have a lot of stuff for troubleshooting electrical problems but nothing specific to your car. Mitchell is less expensive and they have always had really good wiring diagrams. I wish I could get into those sites to get a diagram for you. Hopefully KHLow2008 will be able to when he sees your reply.

Are you sure the problem is in the back?

Did you check the front left side marker in the bumper?

How's the amber bulb in the front headlight assembly?

Thomas

Exovcds
Attached image: - #92 goes to front left side marker
- #115 goes to left tail light
- #98 goes to left park light (front)

Thomas

Exovcds
Forgot image. Sorry.

Still getting used to new website layout.

Thomas

Exovcds
Page 1 of 2