REPLACED VALVE BODY STILL HAD HARD SHIFT - REPLACED TRS LP FUSE NOW WILL NOT SHIFT

2001 Saturn SL1 • 126,000 miles

Had hard shifts replaced the valve body - replaced trs LP fuse that was blown now it will not shift at all.
Mike G

Where did you get the valve body from? Was it the whole valve body? Or just the upper valve body? Also with a blown trs lp fuse its going to shift real hard because line pressure will be full pressure all the time and not just full pressure for reverse like it should be. Also was the trs lp fuse blowing before the valve body change? Also you didnt pinch the valve body wire harness underneath the valve body cover did you? What are the exact code numbers that are being set in the computer?

I got it from a company that rebuilds these valve bodies. It was the whole valve body. No it was not blown before the valve body was changed. However, the circuit board (bus plate) inside the (old) valve body which I replaced was fried. The fried circuit was for the solenoid number 1 (line pressure). No wires are pinched. There are no computer codes.

I suspect a wiring or sensor issue but the trs lp fuse has not blown since I replaced it. I have power at both sides of the fuse.

Mike G
Did you ohms check the line pressure actuator when you replaced the buss plate? I suspect a line pressure actuator from what you have told me so far.

I ohm checked all the solenoids. Range 5.0 - 5.2 ohms.

Mike G
So did the valve body come with the bad buss plate etc right out of the box?I tried to buy some rebuilt valve bodys and they were all a piece of junk bad line pressure actuator in one. Broke buss plate on another completely bad on another one. How much did you pay for this valve body?

No the bad bus plate was in the original valve body which I replaced. I paid around 150 dollars for the new valve body.

This is the second valve body from this company. Like you, I thought maybe they sent me a bad valve body, so I had them send me a second one. Both acted the same way (continued hard slam). I discovered the blown trs lp fuse after I installed the second valve body.

Mike G
Alright so now that the fuse for trs lp is good the car wont shift it stays in 1st gear and wont shift?Also when the fuse was blown it shifted thru every gear just really hard?Do you have any codes in the computer?If so what are the exact code numbers not the code descriptions. Also do you have a transmission pressure tester gauge set?

Yes, it stays in first gear and is very slow moving even when the engine is revved very high. Yes, when the fuse was blown it shifted thru every gear. It would start out shifting hard but after 30 miles it was shifting without banging. However, once the car was turned off it would shift hard again. There are no codes in the computer. I do not have a transmission pressure gauge set.

Mike G
You say the car is slow moving even when the car is reved high?Is the transmission slipping in first gear?If you pull the trs lp fuse out will it shift thru the gears?Your going to need to get a transmission pressure gauge tester set.

Correct - slow moving even when it is revved high, but that is with the good fuse. If I pull the fuse the car goes thru every gear, but it shifts hard. I'm thinking its the wiring? I'm going to go thru the wiring this weekend - something is blowing that fuse.

Mike G