SATURN SL1 TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2001 Saturn SL1 • 192,000 miles

Okay I have a trans issue. I replace it with another one and it seem to have the same issues as the one I took out it has a delay when you put into reverse for and 5 seconds and then when you are driving it it shift kinda hard out of third and really hard out of fourth into overdrive I also did notice a shutter noise when it goes into second. I get a pending code of p0732 I have add the lucus stop slip in it but if does not seem to do any thing for it. The trans I got from a junk yard and have contact them them told them they gave me a bad transmission they told me that the car it came out of was test driven before they sent it to me and it shifted fine for them. So I am at a lose on what is wrong. Please help
Hssweetautomotive

Did you also have a code P0732 when the original transmission was installed?

Umm sorry I did not check that. It was a customer of mine that order a trans and want me to replace it so I did. Plus also the place where she got the trans from told her to have it reprogrammed should I have that done

Hssweetautomotive
I mean to say I did not scan it when she brought me the car

Hssweetautomotive
I would never use the lucas stop slip in the transmission if that transmission is slipping then more then likely you have a line pressure issue in the transmission. What is the year and model the donor transmission came from?

I will have to ask them tomorrow for they are on the east coast and are close right now I add the lucus hoping it would ease the slamming

Hssweetautomotive
Okay I called them and she say it is out of a 97 she does not have the vin so she was not able to give me that but he did tell her that it is from a dual over head cam motor which is what I have

Hssweetautomotive
You put for year and model 2001 SL1 which would have a single cam engine. So which year and model do you have?Also there is a vin on the transmission could I please get that its on the left side of the coil pack where the engine meets the transmission?Also a hard shift is caused by too high of line pressure so the lucas cant help that. Also do you have a transmission pressure tester to check the transmission pressures?

Okay the vin for the car I am working on is this ( 1g8zk52751z29823) the vin on the trans I think it is this es81esz18 it was kinda funky writing also the air inject tube was plugged cleaned it out and it does not seem to slam in the froward gears but I still have a delay in reverse then a slam into reverse gear and it am not sure about the second gear I still hear the solenoid trying to engage but I can't tell if it is engaging or not. But I am thinking not if reverse and second uses the same solenoid and no I do not have a pressure tester

Hssweetautomotive
Thats no vin on the transmission I have ever seen yes the reverse uses 2nd gear clutch pack but reverse has a reverse servo piston and uses full line pressure and the forward gears only uses like 120-130psi. If you have a delay slam into reverse then I would say we have a pressure issue. We need a pressure gauge set I have a nice set that does oil and has a transmission pressure gauge and adapters. Its a otc set its like 56 on amazon I would start with a pressure test. Those transmissions are known for loose input shaft nuts and bad pressure regulators in the valve body I can usually see a loose input shaft nut with a pressure test.

Also what kind of scan tool do you have?