CAR IS CLUNKING WHEN SHIFTING INTO GEARS

2001 Saturn SC1 • 99,000 miles

Automatic. Changed 3 motor mounts and 1 transmission mount today. Making terrible clunking noise when going from park to reverse or park to neutral and when it is in drive and shifting.
Staceyz1966gmailcom

Was this present prior to replacement of the engine mounts?

Were the axles shafts checked?

Yes, was present before that's reason for replacing all the mounts. Axle shafts checked and were fine.

Staceyz1966gmailcom
Clunking noises during shifting or transmission engagement can only be due to the engine mounts, drivetrains and suspension linkages. Something is wrong along these areas and you should do a detailed inspection on them.

Any difference before and after repair work?
Is the MIL indicating?
Ensure engine mounts bolts are all secured and torqued. Sometimes a mount cross bolt might get missed out.

Just added this 1 so you have a hard shift into every gear? Also do you have a delay bang into reverse?

The car mostly shifts hard into 2nd gear. And reverse. It isn't clunking/banging as violently as it was banging prior to changing the mounts - but it is still banging nonetheless. We also drained the tranmission fluid and changed the tranny filter yesterday to see if that would help. I have been good about tune ups and oil changes but honestly, I don't think I have ever had my tranny fluid flushed or changed.

One last question - I drove it into work today. Probably not the best decision - but I did. I minimized the banging by sliding the car into neutral each time I applied the brakes. That way there was no banging as I slowed down. Then when I accelerated I went from neutral into drive. When it was just about to shift gears, I let my foot off the accelerater and that helped so it didn't bang so hard. Once I had it up to speed on the freeway there weren't any problems at all.

Staceyz1966gmailcom
Am I damaging my car more by continuing to drive it?

Staceyz1966gmailcom
Driving a car with a transmission problem will damage the transmission overtime. It sounds to me like you have a pressure problem inside the transmission. Very common for that transmission. The pressure becomes too high or too low. Sounds like yours too high. Habe you check for codes in the computer yet? You will also need to do a line pressure test on the transmission. You'll need a transmission pressure test kit. You can get 1 like I have for about 54 dollars or so. Also you will need a air compressor to air check clutches. If you're interested in making the repair yourself you will need to buy tools to do that.