WHY WILL THE STARTER ONLY CLICK.

2001 Pontiac Grand Am • 220,000 miles

I have a 2001 grand am with a 2.4. Wife stopped to get gas and tried to start car and it would not start. Had the starter checked and its fine when you try to start the car the starter clicks and thats it.
Johnpainter

Make sure the battery is ok. Other than that, the starter armature is bad

When I have jumper cables on it does the same thing and I checked the voltage when
I try to start and it goes down to like4.78 volts. And the head lights stay on till the battery dies

Johnpainter
SEE "MY 1ST ANSWER" IN THIS POST

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1993-pontiac-grand-wont-start-clicking-relay-lights-gauges-flicker

LET US KNOW HOW IT'S A GOIN'

Why does my lights stay on. Can the starter go out with no warning.

Johnpainter
No offense but from a 1993 to 2001 comparison especially when were talking about head lights staying on and the starter circuit. There has been a lot of changes in technology the way the circuits run parts involved etc.

So you are saying the starter is bad or the battery. This my only transportation so I am trying to fix it right the first time.

Johnpainter
Do you have a test light?

I have a volt meter

Johnpainter
A test light would be better but see if you have battery voltage to the purple wire at the starter.

No volts at purple wire at starter. With key in the on position

Johnpainter