NO FUEL TO CARBURETOR

2001 Mitsubishi Mirage • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 180,000 miles

I have a Mitsubishi mirage 1.8 2001 car does cranks does not start. I sprayed starting fluid in the carburetor and it started then stalled out. I have checked the fused but none of the fused says anything about fuel pump. And I don't hear the fuel pump starting when I turn the key. Is there a way to make sure the fuel pump is getting power. Or is the fuel pump definitely need replaced?

Waorellana

Check fuel pump relays, see pics for locations.

Mark (MHPAUTOS)

Mhpautos
Thank you for your help. What I ended up doing was checking to see if I got power at the fuel pump. Checking power at the fuel pump was little confusing because the electrical diagram shows the main wire to be black and blue. But the car only has a red and blue wire and all black wire and red and Grey wire. The red and blue wire had 11.47 volts and the red and Grey wire had 5.73 volt and the black wire had zero volts. I am a real novice at this but I am assuming that those numbers are good and the problem is the fuel pump? The other question is about the images that you provided. I tried to look for the same pictures in my Chilton manual. I understand one relay is on side of the passenger side and you have to remove the glove box, but the other picture I could not determine where on the engine that relay is at, This would be for future reference unless you still think I should check those relays still?

Waorellana
Ok I messed up in the last response I thought I was checking the power to the fuel pump but it turned out to be the power to the fuel gauge. So now I know that the fuel gauge is working. I did find the wire to the fuel pump and it is black and blue and it is not getting power. So it looks like I will need to test the fuel relay. I am pretty sure that I did find the fuel relay that is behind the glove box but the other fuel relay has got me confused, I found the shift cable under the hood. Is that relay under the hood or is that in the car under the driver side? Also can I test those relay some how?

Waorellana
I am working off the pic as well as I am in Australia, the relay should click, you will feel it click, as for the other under the bonnet, I will see what I can find out.

Mhpautos