HOW DO YOU REMOVE REAR BRAKE DRUMS

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Brakes problem
2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 54000 miles

I was going to replace the rear brake shoes on my 2001 spyder GS.
It has rear drum breaks.
I have done rear drums before on my jeep and duster, but I can't feel any star wheel thru the access holes and the parking break is not on.

I think there is a threaded hole in the mounting plate.
Could a bolt possibly thread thru this hole and force the drum off of the brake shoes?
If so what thread is the bolt and how long does it need to be.
The Haynes and Chiltons manuals I have for the eclipse don't say anything other than remove rear drum.

Thanx for any info.

Tony
Quarkz

Yes, that is usually how to get them off. The bolt should be a 8 mm thread. The drum is most likely stuck on the hub, not the shoes, the bolt hole is there for exactly that

Jack42
How'd that work for you?

Jack42
Jack,
I hope to find some time this weekend to take a look at the rear brakes. It took me a bit of time finding any m8 bolts with any length. The best I could find was a 2" socket heed. Hopefully that will be long enough.

When I drove the Spyder, from 45 to 55 mph, a noise will start to resonate through the passenger compartment. It sound like it is coming from the back but is hard to pinpoint. IT sounds like either something out of balance or something rubbing.

The tires have all been recently balanced, so this, along with the breaks never being changed, is why I want to do rear break work.

I will update when I get some results.

Quarkz
Don't know how it worked out for him. But that was the ticket. Thought my brakes needed to be replaced because of a slight scrape, was not the case. The shoes were just fine. For some reason after I re-adjusted them, they were fine till I tried the e-brake. Sound came back. Gonna replace drum.

Thanks.

Dominus
Did you check if the E-brake cables were stiff? A bad cable can result in the brake shoes not returning fully after application. So would sticking slave cylinder pistons.