MERCURY SABLE ENGINE PROBLEM

2001 Mercury Sable • V12 FWD Automatic •

My car killed engine on me twice going up hill, fans are not working and radiator tank slowly cracking what could be the problem?
Merritt24

#1--You are still expecting it to go. As is. It will be terminal and expensive, if you continue!

Replace the tank

Do you have a check engine light on?

Check all of your fuses 1st!

Will the fans run, if you "Jumper Wire" the positive side straight to the battery?

If so, You may have a bad relay, or your coolant temp switch is disconnected or bad.

If you need more info on that or locations, I hope someone will jump in and provide that.I am unable to get to my resource for those diagrams, at the present time.

A Chilton or Haynes repair manual for your specific car would be really helpful to you right now, they are about $30, at auto parts stores.

The Medic

I had the engine replaced about a year ago since I've had it replaced the check engine light has always been on? I bought the whole fan assembly I don't better off just trading it off

Merritt24
Have Check Engine Light coded at Autozone, Advance Auto, or other stores for Free. Bring codes back here.

As far as the fan relay/ location, I cannot get to that info at present, I think I need to dwnld something in my new computer to get to that info--I'm computer stupid

Will the fan run w/ 12volts straight to it?

The Medic

PS, If you get another rig get a Jeep CJ, one of mine is "35" other is "65" years young, still going strong!

Okay had the fans replaced and they still won't spin! Pored antifreeze in to the tank and it just runs out by the radiator does this need to be replaced if so how much does a radiator alone cost?

Merritt24
Although I am not real familiar with you car, I have finally been able to access my on-line repair manual resource to get more info.

I was able to find one diagram, I was unable to find other diagrams in which to make it EZer on you....but I did find locations, it is the best I could do...still others may join in and may be able to show diagrams or better explanations....here's what I have:

1) Coolant temperature switch (tells relay/fan when to turn on) Diagram at bottom

2) Fan relay--located in relay center box 1, under left side of dash, gives fan power (relay center box 1 and 2 are BOTH under the left side of dash)....no diagram

3) Fan resistor--just says "near fan"...no diagram

4) Radiator cost, as you requested, you might look for other parts stores, prices could vary..your info at the top is not correct/accurate, about your engine, I plugged in a "Guess" at this store.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2001-Mercury-Sable/Radiator/_/N-jfkhpZ8ii30?filterByKeyWord=radiator&fromString=search

5) Cooling fan relay

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2001-Mercury-Sable/Relay-Radiator-Cooling-Fan-Motor/_/N-jfkhpZ9cj89?filterByKeyWord=cooling+fan+relay&fromString=search

6) Coolant Temperature Switch (not to be confused with coolant temperature sender, which operates light or gauge in instruments)

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2001-Mercury-Sable/Temperature-Switch/_/N-jfkhpZ91shz?filterByKeyWord=coolant+temperature+switch&fromString=search

I have spent about an hour at the online manual searching and another at the online parts store and "hunting and pecking".

This is all I've got for you, my resources are exhausted.

Diagram is below

The Medic

Okay sir I forgot to tell you that I hit a large raccoon and my radiator had a hole in it, got replaced with a brand-new one but now the car won't start could it be the fuel filter?

Merritt24
Do anything with the fan relay?

You might see if it's exactly the same as another one in your fuse/ relay center.

If so, swap it with one that is not critical (like horn, etc) Not your fuel pump, or something needed to SAFELY operate you car

Reckon the coon, broke any wiring in the vicinity?

I will keep on a slingin' stuff, this really ain't an area, I deal with a lot!

If another more experienced expert don't jump in soon, I'll go find one!

I will not abandon you. Or give up and suggest a shop, until I have exhausted every means of helping you!

You gotta do your part too!

What are your engine codes. This would help pin down your problem(s). Instead of slingin' in, expensive parts!

Check your fuel pressure. Key On, Engine Off!

Sometimes parts stores will "Rent/ Lend" you tools (like a fuel pressure gauge). Even talking to these guys, they might even come to you to do the coding. They have for me, in the past, when the car was immobile.A low end scanner is about $50, yours to keep! You and others "WILL" need it in the future (ask your pals for donations, when they need it's use!)

Please describe other "Coon" damage, how it was running, symptoms as it starts/ dies. Nothing will sound dumb!

The Medic

Well the raccoon hit under the car on the left side it ran for about 1/2 hour then stalled going up hill, no air conditioning doesn't work it has rough sound when it's running get it running it will start one more time after it's shut off then will not start again, kinda has a shake to it have to hit gas pedal when at stop sign so it will not stall out.

Merritt24
You're gonna have to look for damage

Let me know if this is the correct car

This is a 2001 Mercury Sable "GS" 3.0 4V. You submitted little info at the top. So I guessed, probably wrong!

This is the left side of the engine a "Left Front" and a "Left Rear"

Look for these wires/ connectors/ components to be pulled loose or broken etc.

A big hand mirror and a good flashlight my help you

"Give me a damage report, Scottie!"

The Medic

No damage done to any and yes your information is correct.

Merritt24