TRANSMISSION OVERDRIVE RX300

2001 Lexus RX 300 • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 143,000 miles

Rx300 won't shift into overdrive sometimes. Starts out fine shifting into overdrive and after a few starts and stops it stops shifting into overdrive. Have to stop the car, turn the key off and on, then it will shift into overdrive for a few times and then stops shifting into overtime. Changed the trans fluid and filter a couple of times, doesn't affect it. Car runs and shifts reat other than that. Thanks Jim
Tucker12

Is the Check Engine Light indicating?
Have you tried to retrieve for trouble codes?

Transmission control system has self-diagnostics and if any error occurs, there is a possibility trouble codes would be stored in system. Get a scan done to retrieve for trouble codes and let me know what they are if any found.

The check engine light is on with the code for the o2 sensor bank 1. The check engine light has been on when the transmission was working correctly. I had it rechecked and showed no trans codes.

Tucker12
If no codes are found, it would most likely be a fault with 3-4 shift valve and/or underdrive clutch.

Could it be a solenoid being it will reset only when I turn off the ignition switch and start again? And if so where might that solenoid be located.

Tucker12
If it is a solenoid problem, trouble codes should be present. Solenoids are at the valve body which requires the transmission oil pan to be removed for access.